Nicola Sturgeon has announced the new local tier levels in Scotland which will come into force from Friday 20 November.

Level four of lockdown has been announced for council areas such as City of Glasgow, Renfrewshire, East Renfrewshire, East Dunbartonshire, West Dunbartonshire, North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, East Ayrshire, South Ayrshire, Stirling and West Lothian.

New rules are also in place for people in East Lothian and Midlothian who move down to Level 2.

Nicola Sturgeon said:

“The clear advice of our public health experts therefore is that we must drive infection rates down further in these areas, and they are not confident that level 3 restrictions will do this to the extent necessary.

“That is why, albeit reluctantly, we have taken the decision to place these areas into level 4 for a limited period.

“The level 4 restrictions will be in place for 3 weeks – and will be lifted on 11 December.

She added: 

“And I want to be clear on that point. I know people are frustrated that other restrictions have remained in place longer than planned.

“But level 4 is intended to be short and sharp. And in this situation, it is specifically intended to have an impact in advance of Christmas and the most challenging winter period.”

The other 19 council areas will see no change to their levels this week.

Can I socialise with my friends and family? 

You cannot visit someone in their home, however you will be allowed to meet outdoors with six people from a maximum of two households.

What rules apply when meeting outside?

  • Minimise the number of meetings you have with people from other households each day.
  • Stay at least two metres away from anyone who is not part of your household.
  • Maintain hand and cough hygiene.
  • Avoid touching hard surfaces with your hands.
  • Wash your hands when you arrive, when you leave, when you get home and especially before eating or after touching surfaces.
  • Not share food or utensils – if eating, each household should bring, prepare and eat its own food separately.
  • Access the garden – do so quickly and without touching anything.
  • Use the toilet – avoid touching surfaces with your hands as much as possible, wipe any surfaces that you do touch with antibacterial wipes, wash your hands thoroughly, dry your hands with a freshly laundered towel or a paper towel, which you should dispose of in a closed bin.

Barrhead News:

Can I form an extended household?

People who live in different places can form an extended household in the following circumstances:

People who live alone

  • If you are an adult and you live alone, or if all others in your household are under 18, you, any children who live with you, and the members of one other household (of any size) can agree to form an ‘extended household’. This will allow  people who live alone (or those living only with children under the age of 18) to be considered part of another household in order to reduce loneliness, isolation and to provide mutual social support.

Couples who do not live together

  • Two adults who are in a relationship and they do not live together they, and any children they each live with, can agree to form an ‘extended household’.

Do children count towards that number?

Children under the age of 12 from these households do not count towards the total number of people counted in a gathering.

Young people aged between 12 and 17 can meet up in groups of up to six at a time outdoors and are not subject to the two household limit. 

Can I go to a restaurant or pub?

No, restaurants, cafes, pubs and bars wil be closed.

However, Hotels and other accommodation providers can still serve food to qualifying guests i.e. key or exempt workers, staying in their premises up to 22:00. Room service, including alcohol, is allowed as normal.

Can I get a takeaway?

Takeaways can still operate as normal, provided food and drink is sold for consumption off premises.

Can I go on holiday in Scotland?

No, all holiday accommodation is closed to tourism.

Hotels, B&Bs and self-catering can remain open for essential customers only.

For example: 

  • Anyone who is using that accommodation for work purposes
  • Anyone who requires accommodation to attend a funeral
  • Anyone who is providing accommodation or support services to the homeless
  • Anyone who uses that accommodation as their main residence
  • Anyone who needs accommodation while moving home
  • Anyone who is unable to return to their main residence

Can I travel to health boards?

You should not travel into or out of the level 4 area unless for essential reasons. If necessary, limits on travel distance, or a requirement to stay at home.

There are exemptions for essential travel for work, education, shopping health etc; outdoor exercise; weddings and funerals; and transit through restricted areas.

Barrhead News:

Can I go on public transport?

No use of public transport, except for essential purposes. You should also use active travel (walk, run, cycle, wheel) where possible, avoid car sharing with people outside extended household wherever possible. Face masks must be worn too.

Can I go to the shops?

Yes, but only essential retail like supermarkets will be able to remain open in Level 4 providing they follow and have implemented Scottish Government guidance to ensure the safety of customers and staff.

Click and collect, on-line services and outdoor retail, such as garden centres, outdoor markets and car lots, can also remain open.

Can I get my haircut or nails done?

No, close contact services and mobile close contact service providers must not operate in Level 4. These include, hairdressing and barbers, beauty parlours, hair removal, tattoo, piercing and body modification, massage therapies, spa and wellness services etc.

Can I go to the library or a community centre?

No, all public sector buildings such as libraries or community centres will be closed, however, library click and collect services may still operate in Level 4.

However, courts and Tribunals will remain open.

Can I go to the football or live events?

No, all stadia will be closed to spectators and no live events are permitted.

Can I go to my place of worship?

Yes, places of worship are required to take measures to protect individuals, worshippers, staff members and volunteers from infection of Covid-19.

Indoor acts of worship are limited to a maximum of 20 people providing there is sufficient space to maintain safe two metre distancing.

Where premises cannot maintain two metre distancing the capacity will be reduced.

Outdoor worship can still take place providing it takes place within the grounds of a place of worship with a maximum capacity of 20 people and there is sufficient space for 2 metre distancing.

The 2 metre distance is not required between members of the same household or extended household, or between a carer and the person assisted by the carer.

Can I get married?

Yes, wedding ceremonies and civil partnership registrations can take place with a maximum capacity of 15 people (including the couple, the witnesses and guests) providing the venue’s capacity allows for two metre physical distancing. 

However, wedding or civil partnership receptions cannot take place in level 4.

Can I attend a funeral?

Yes, funerals and wakes can take place with a maximum capacity of 20 guests providing the venue’s capacity allows for appropriate physical distancing.​

What about early learning and childcare?

Early learning and childcare can remain open with enhanced and targeted protective measures are in place.

What about informal childcare?

Informal childcare is only permitted for essential workers but you should follow the rules for socialising, and only children should enter the home of another household.

Can schools stay open?

Yes, schools can stay open but with enhanced and targeted protective measures.

What about universities and colleges?

Colleges and universities can operate using a more restricted mix of face to face and distance learning.

Can I do driving lessons?

No, driving lessons, including motorcycle lessons, must not be held unless all occupants of the vehicle or vehicles are from the same household.

Driving instructors must not travel outside their local authority area to provide lessons.

Can I play sports and exercise?

Yes, you are permitted to meet others outdoors, following the rules around meeting other households, for informal exercise or sport.

However, indoor sports facilities are closed but outdoor gyms can remain open.

Outdoor non-contact sports are permitted for all age groups.

Can I go to leisure and entertainment centres?

No, all leisure and entertainment premises must be closed (except for use in limited circumstances).

Can I go to visitor attractions?

All indoor visitor attractions such as museums, galleries, heritage attractions, indoor areas of zoos and aquariums are closed.

Outdoor visitor attractions, such as parks, gardens and the outdoor areas of zoos may remain open, to enable exercise and recreation to be undertaken with appropriate physical distancing in place, but should only be visited in line with travel restrictions.

Visitor attraction’s retail and hospitality facilities will be closed.

Barrhead News:

What about public services?

It will be essential face-to-face services only but will be online where possible.

What about youth clubs, children’s groups etc?

Unregulated activities and services for children and young people include groups such as Brownies or faith-based classes for children, and activities for parents and children such as baby and toddler groups.

Activities that take place take place outdoors are permitted, except for public parades.  

What about support services?

These will be essential only and online where possible.

Can offices, call centres and other workplaces stay open?

They will be essential only and ideally working from home. 

However, businesses which provide essential services can continue to operate, such as those in the Critical National Infrastructure (CNI) sector, courts and tribunals.

Outdoor workplaces, construction, manufacturing, veterinary services and film and TV production can also remain open. They should plan for the minimum number of people needed on site to operate safely and effectively.

Home visits by contractors should only be for essential services. 

What about if I’m shielding?

This is advice, consider which level of protection is right for you.

All levels: We will not ask you to distance from people within your own homes or to stop taking outdoor exercise.

Level 4 shielding

  • Minimise: Contact with people outside your own household if you can. You should not take public transport.
  • Shopping: Strictly follow the guidelines when shopping and limiting the number of times you go to a shop. Shop at quieter times.
  • If you cannot work from home: The majority of workplaces can be made safe. If you have any concerns you should discuss these with your employer.

    However, at this level the Chief Medical Officer will issue a letter which is similar to a fit note and which will last for as long as your area is under Level 4 restrictions. This letter can be used in the few cases where it is not possible to make your workplace safe.

    Please note that this does not automatically mean you should not attend work. You should discuss this further with your employer, and if this results in adequate protection, you can continue to work.

  • School/formal childcare: Children on the shielding list should not attend in person.